Background to the Nottingham Equal
Nottingham Equal is an umbrella organisation that brings together the Black and Minority Ethnic (BME) voluntary and community sector together, to give them a voice within the strategic structures, enabling them to influence policy and service delivery. We define BME to mean all ethnic groups such as Afro-Caribbean, Asian and Eastern Europeans.
The current focus has been to:
- advocate on behalf of the BME communities, with the aims of widening participation within other minority communities.
- engage in capacity building activities to enable BME voluntary and community organizations to operate more effectively.
- Encourage and facilitate and partnership and collaboration amongst BME voluntary and community organisations.
- become a self-sustainable organisation, which is available to resource BME voluntary and community organisations.
Nottingham Equal aims to:
- Ensure that Local Authority meets the needs of BME third sector
- Provides members with a strong collective voice and a platform to engage with policymakers and key opinion formers from across the city & county.
- Support, develop, inspire and positively promote BME third sector.
- Make provisions to share Information at regular meetings.
- Campaign and advocate on behalf of its members
- Keep the community well informed about what is happening in the City and Nottinghamshire.
- Actively involve local community organisations in decision making.
- Promote effective opportunities, positive engagement and participation.
- Ensure a coherent and united voices in an effort to make a real difference in shaping policies.
Nottingham Equal is considered to be one of the most effective organisations in the City and Nottinghamshire, in that:-
- It aims to connect the role of the partnership and the governmental agenda
- It works towards formulating an effective strategic role in representing BME groups
- It provides an effective platform to contributing sound ‘skills based’ judgments.
- It nurtures its members in providing leadership.
Nottingham Equal Board Members
- Prof Cecile Wright (The Chair Person of Nottingham Equal)
- Mohammad Ilyas (Secertry of Nottingham Equal)